Thursday, June 3, 2010

More upcoming events -- June and July

Galax Leaf and String is June 11-12 in Galax, Va. This is a great event with a weekend full of music, arts and crafts.

Wayne C. Henderson Music Festival and Guitar Competition is June 19 at Grayson Highlands State Park. Henderson is a famous guitar player and luthier. This competition draws thousands each year and is always held on the 3rd Saturday of June, the day before Father's Day.

Another Hillsville Downtown Celebration concert series will be 5:30 p.m. June 26. I wrote about the concert series here.

Also on June 25 and 26 is Grayson County Fiddlers Convention. It's located in beautiful Elk Creek, Va. I always enjoyed covering this event for The Gazette. I once saw and took a photo of Roni Stoneman. No joke! I also met Justin Robinson of Carolina Chocolate Drops there (I don't think it was another fiddlers convention, although it could have been. There are several in the area). Good band. Go check them out here.

Smoke on the Mountain Barbecue Festival is July 16-17. This is another not-to-miss event. It's fun to sample the barbecue and learn who the reigning team will be each year.

I knew most of these events were coming up but couldn't find a good, complete online calendar. I was able to find info on these events through Davis-Bourne Inn's calendar. It appears this inn is becoming a good resource. (Another source, and, yes I'm biased because I worked there, is The Gazette and its visitor guide.)

0 comments:

Post a Comment