Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Great Dismal Swamp National Wildlife Refuge.

Here's some photos from our trip to Great Dismal Swamp National Wildlife Refuge, near Suffolk, Va. If you're out that way, check out the Plaid Turnip, a delicious restaurant in Suffolk! Here's a Hampton's Road article about it.

Nearly all the trails at the refuge were closed for bear and deer hunting season while we were there, so we stuck to the Washington Ditch Trail and the Boardwalk Trail for our exploring.

We, unfortunately, didn't make it to Lake Drummond, which is 4 1/2 miles from the trail head.

This is a park I've wanted to visit a long time and this one day trip was a let down. But I hope to go back when we have more time to explore it.

We didn't get to see too much wildlife, just some birds flitting about, including either a parakeet or flycatcher and some other walkers. Oh, and what is possibly bear scat. Does that count?





2 comments:

  1. I'm not sure how else to get a hold of you...My name is Kirsten Otis, and I am a Graduate Student at the University of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario, Canada.

    I would be very much interested in obtaining permission to use one of your photos from this post (the second one down) in my thesis defense presentation. I study vernal pools, a seasonal wetland, and your photo of the Great Dismal Swamp is a wonderful (and high-rez) example of another kind of seasonal wetland.

    Thank you for your consideration.

    - Kirsten 'Firefly' Otis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Kirsten:

      Thanks for stopping by my blog! Yes, you have my permission to use the photo. Thank you for asking.

      I ask that you do give me credit: Photo by E.A. Seagraves. Good luck with your presentation!

      Sincerely,

      Beth

      Delete