Friday, December 24, 2010

Evansville, Indiana

As you read this, we're probably settled in for Christmas with Chris' family in Evansville, In. We usually head to Cincinnati for a while too, but not this year. Since we visited family in Ohio in August, we're not going to stop by this year.

Here's some photos from November 2007 that I snapped on my first trip to Evansville and my first trip, ever, to a state that wasn't on the East Coast! Make sure to read the cutlines, I'll explain the photo and posts links.

The city's greenway, which runs along the Ohio River.

The Four Freedoms, a monument along the greenway, facing the Ohio.

University of Southern Indiana. My father-in-law tutors there.

The old courthouse, built in the late 1800s.

The old jail, located across the street from the old courthouse. It was also built in the late 1800s.

An old art deco Greyhound bus station 
The Gerst Bavarian Haus, a German restaurant, is my favorite place to eat in Evansville, with Emge's Deli a close second! (Ignore the crazy man running at the camera.) There's also Turoni's Pizza, which is a favorite for the locals.
We also visited the Evansville African American Museum. It was fabulous! I was very impressed and loved all the detailed and interactive exhibits.

I have yet to visit the Angel Mounds -- another Native American burial ground. I've been told that the mound is usually operating on off-season hours when we're there, so we haven't been.

In a later post, I'll share photos from the Mesker Park Zoo, a small zoo in Chris' hometown. We've already visited it a couple of times together. It recently added a rain forest exhibit and I must go check that out!

Have a very merry Christmas and talk with you soon!

0 comments:

Post a Comment