Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Where to shop: Main Street, Abindon, Va.

We went to Abingon, Va., last Saturday to walk the Virginia Creeper Trail. While we were there, we also checked out Main Street and some local businesses.

First off, we ate a quick lunch at the famous Martha Washington Hotel and Spa's Market Deli (there's two links: hotel and the deli). This hotel is gorgeously decorated and would be a very pleasant place to stay. I'd love to check out a cabaret and get a massage at the spa.

Chris had a reuben with chips and I had 1/2 a turkey sandwich with Italian Wedding soup and chips. Very delicious.

After the walk, we stopped by A Likely Yarn, a local yarn shop on Pecan Street just below the Creeper's trail head.

The business is one of the largest, locally-owned stores I'd been in. A knitting class was taking place in a small room to the left as we walked in and several ladies were browsing books and yarn in the large shop area to the right.

There was a large collection of books, a lot separated by category, such as socks, crochet or knitting. There was also a rack that had "Handknit Heros," a comic book of needle welding crime fighters.

I was very impressed with the large selection of crochet and knitting books at A Likely Yarn.
The yarn selection was pretty nice too. Prices were comparable to other shops I'd been in and there was a wide variety of brands.

I think I just about picked up every skein of yarn along this wall.

I signed up for the shop's e-newsletters and the lady tending the shop told me about an upcoming retreat in February.

Next we walked around Main Street and stopped in several antique shops, including Abingdon Mercantile and Frames. We were on the hunt for Rookwood Pottery (Chris' parents collect it) and a dress form (I want one so much!).

We also stopped at The Arts Depot to check out some artists' studios. I really liked some fabric hats and paintings, such as those by Jackie Dolpp and Joyce Samuel. The artists' collaborative is a one block off Main Street on Depot Square.

Before heading home, we grabbed coffee at Zazzy'z Coffee House.



While in Abingdon, you should also check out  Barter Theater, A House on Main, The Tavern, and other antique, clothing and gift shops along Main Street.

1 comment:

  1. I have family in Abingdon and used to spend a lot of summers there. My aunt owns a rental property right on the river. http://riverhouse.homestead.com/index.html I hosted several scrapbook retreats here and our family reunion is here every other year. Great place to spend a weekend!

    ReplyDelete